Kenya’s Zablon Chumba smashed the race course record at the 17th edition of the Porto marathon Portugal that was held on Sunday (7) in Porto, Portugal.
The 30 year-old came to this race with a personal best of 2:10.38 that he got at the 2019 Marathon of Toulouse Métropole, ran as if he will not compete again cutting the tape in a new personal best and course record time of 2:08.58 smashing the previous record of 2:09.05 by eight seconds, that had been set by Robert Chemonges from Uganda.
Chumba led 1-2 Kenyan podium finish as he was followed by Bernard Kiprotich a distant later who crossed the line in 2:09.42.
Ethiopia’s Asnake Dubre closed the first three podium finishes in 2:10.14.
Sila Kiptoo and Ezekiel Kipruto Kemboi came home in fourth and fifth place in 2:13.16 and 2:15.27 respectively.
In the women category, it was an Ethiopian affair as they took all the three podium positions. Kidsan Alema ran a personal best as she took the top honors in 2:28.01 with Shewarge Alene Amare coming home in second in 2.28.16 and Motu Megersa finishing in third place in 2.28.56.
- Zablon Chumba (KEN) 2:08.58
- Bernard Kiprotich (KEN) 2:09.42
- Asnake Dubre (ETH) 2:10:14
- Sila Kiptoo (KEN) 2:13.16
- Ezekiel Kemboi (KEN) 2:15.27
- Emmanuel Kibet (KEN) 2:16.31
- Ezekiel Kimeli (KEN) 2:20.48
- Kidsan Alema (ETH) 2:28.01
- Shewarge Amare (ETH) 2:28.16
- Motu Megersa (ETH) 2:28.56
- Feyne Gemeda (ETH) 2:29.32
- Meselech Tsegaye (ETH) 2:29.38
- Lydiah Mathati (KEN) 2:29:42
- Caroline Jepchirchir (KEN) 2:29:45