Two time World Deaflympic Champion Simon Kibai and Paralympic Games T11 bronze medalist Nancy Chelangat were voted the best Sports people living with disability during the 18th edition of the Sports Personality of the Year Awards (SOYA) that was held on Tuesday night (25) at the Bukhungu stadium in Kakamega County.
Kibai who also holds the world 5000m Deaflympics record holder defeated fellow athletes Erick Sang, Felix Kipruto, Wilson Bii and Rodgers Kiprop for the title.
Chelangat emergedthe winner after trouncing fellow Tokyo Paralympians, power lifter Hellen Wawira and rower Asiya Sururu and Berly Atieno.
Olympic marathon champion Peres Jepchirchir and Lawrence Cherono were among top athletes that were honoured as heroes and heroines during the Mashujaa day Celebrations that was held today(20) at the Wang’uru International Stadium, Kirinyanga County.
The two time world half marathon champion, Jepchirchir also the world half marathon record holder won her first marathon title at the Olympics on her debut.
Cherono is the former Chicago and Boston marathon champion. He finished 4th at the Tokyo Games was joined by Paralympians Asiya Mohammed, Nancy Chelangat and Erick Kipsang who were also honoured.
List of the Sports persons who have been honoured
- Peres Jepchirchir (Athletics)
- Lawrence Cherono – (athletics)
- Delilah Asiago – (Athletics -Dubai marathon)
- Joseph Kiprotich – (veteran athlete)
- Felix Kipkoech – (athlete- Geneva Berlin half marathon in 2021
- Erick Kiptoo – Paralympian David Korir – guide to Erick Kiptoo Wesley Sang – Paralympian
- Nancy Chelangat – Paralympian Geoffrey Kiplangat – guide to Nancy Chelangat
- Rose Tata – athlete
- Stephen Kamande – marathoner
- Ruth Chepngetich – World Marathon champion