The 2018 Commonwealth Games 3,000m steeplechase bronze medalist Abraham Kibiwot and former Africa 10,000m champion Alice Nawouna Aprot and have been ruled out of the 22nd edition of the Senior Africa Athletics championships that will begin this week in Reduit, Mauritius.
The duo picked injuries while in camp ahead of team departure today ahead of the continental championships to be staged at the Cote d’Or National Sports Complex.
With the championships set to kick off Wednesday to Sunday.
Kibiwott will be replaced by his training mate and former Olympic Games 3,000m steeplechase champion Conseslus Kipruto.
Kipruto will now team up with reigning Olympics bronze medallist Benjamin Kigen and Geoffrey Kirwa.
Aprot with a hip injury won’t be replaced, leaving Purity Komen and Brilliant Jepkorir to carry the Kenyan flag in this race.
Reigning Olympic Games 3,000m steeplechase bronze medallist Benjamin Kigen will be seeking to defend his water and barrier title at the 22nd edition of the Africa championships that will be held from 08 June to 12 June in Reduit, Mauritius.
Kigen who is the World Military Games champion has named alongside the 2015 African Junior Champion Abraham Kibiwott and Geoffrey Kirwa
The 2015 Africa Games Athletics championships silver medalist Boniface Mtunga Mweresa is back into the National team after serving his two-year ban for use of higenamine, a prohibited substance in sports.
The 28 year-old will be competing in 400m alongside two time’s National champion, Collins Omae Gichana and William Rayan.
Athletics Kenya named the final squad of 68 athletes, 34 men and 34 women that will be representing Kenya at the bi-annual championships.
The team will be under the tutelage of Julius Kirwa where Kenya will have teams in men and women’s 4x100m and 4x400m relay races.
Three-time World 10,000m bronze medallist Paul Tanui will be chasing his maiden win.
- 100m -Maximilla Imali, Monica Safania, Eunice Kadogo
- 100m hurdles -Priscilla Tabunda
- 200m -Maximilla Imali, Millicent Ndoro, Eunice Kadogo
- 400m – Veronica Mutua, Jacinta Shikanda, Hellen Syombua
- 400m hurdles -Jane Chege, Ann Mwangi
- 800m -Jarinter Mawia, Naomi Korir, Vivian Chebet
- 1500m -Purity Chepkirui, Winny Chebet, Brenda Chebet
- 3000m SC- Jackline Chepkoech, Cellphine Chespol, Carren Chebet
- 5000m – Beatrice Chebet, Caroline Nyaga, Nesphine Jepleting
- 10,000m -Alice Aprot, Judy Komen, Brilliant Chepkorir
- 4x100m -Maximilla Imali, Monica Safania, Eunice Kadogo, Millicent Ndoro, Mercy Chebet
- 4x400m- Veronica Mutua, Jacinta Shikanda, Hellen Syombua, Joan Cherono
- 20km Race Walk- Sylvia Kemboi, Emily Ngii, Grace Wanjiru
- Hammer- Lucy Omondi, Linda Oseso, Roselyne Rakamba
- Javelin- Martha Musai
- 100m- Ferdinand Omanyala, Samuel Imeta, Dennis Otieno
- 110m hurdles -Wiseman Were, Michael Musyoki,
- 200m -Ferdinand Omanyala, Dan Kiviasi, Mike Mokamba
- 400m-Collins Omae, William Rayan, Boniface Mweresa
- 400m hurdles-Wiseman Were, William Mbevi, Rotich Kipkorir
- 800m -Noah Kibet, Nicholas Kebenei, Elias Ngeny
- 1,500m -Abel Kipsang, Kumari Taki, Daniel Munguti
- 3,000m SC -Abraham Kibiwott, Geoffrey Kirwa, Benjamin Kigen
- 5,000m -Daniel Simiu, Ismael Kirui, Michael Kibet
- 10,000m-Kenneth Kiprop, Julius Chepkwony, Paul Tanui
- 4x100m –Ferdinand Omanyala, Samuel Imeta, Dennis Otieno, Dan Kiviasi, Hesbon Ochieng
- 4x400m- Collins Omae, William Rayan, Boniface Mweresa, Kennedy Kimeu, Nathaniel Kipng’etich
- 20km Race Walk -Samuel Gathimba, Heristone Wanyonyi, Simon Wachira
- High jump –Mathew Sawe, Asbel Kiprop
- Triple Jump- Gilbert Pkemoi, Isaac Kirwa, Philip Mwendwa
- Hammer- Dominic Abunda
- Javelin –Julius Yego, Alexander Kiprotich, Methusela Kiprop
- Decathlon-Edwin Too, Gilbert Koech
- Team manager- Ainsworth Maragara