Two times Olympic marathon champion, Eliud Kipchoge has been nominated for the 2022 World Athlete of the Year Gala Award that will be held in December.
Kipchoge recently made history as the fastest man on earth after breaking his own world marathon record by thirty seconds.
The 37 year-old is the only other Kenyan male to win the award after the 800m world record holder David Rudisha winning it 2010.
Olympic 3000m steeplechase champion Soufiane El Bakkali from Morocco has also been added to the list, making it two male athletes from the Continent.
Below are the 2022 nominees for World Athlete of the Year
- Kristjan Ceh (Slovakia)
– World discus champion
– Diamond League discus champion, throwing a national record 71.27m on the circuit in Birmingham
– European discus silver medallist
2. Alison dos Santos (Brazil)
– World 400m hurdles champion
– Diamond League 400m hurdles champion
– Ran a world-leading South American record of 46.29
3. Mondo Duplantis (Sweden)
– World pole vault champion indoors and outdoors
– Diamond League and European pole vault champion
– Improved his world record to 6.19m and 6.20m indoors, and then 6.21m outdoors
4. Soufiane El Bakkali (Morocco)
– World 3000m steeplechase champion
– Diamond League 3000m steeplechase champion
– Unbeaten in 2022, running a world-leading 7:58.28 in Rabat
5. Grant Holloway (USA)
– World 110m hurdles champion
– World indoor 60m hurdles champion
– Diamond League 110m hurdles champion
6. Jakob Ingebrigtsen (Norway)
– World 5000m champion, world 1500m silver medallist indoors and outdoors
– European 1500m and 5000m champion
– Diamond League 1500m champion in a world-leading 3:29.02
7. Eliud Kipchoge, (Kenya)
– Improved his world marathon record to 2:01:09
– Berlin Marathon champion
– Tokyo Marathon champion
8. Noah Lyles (USA)
– World 200m champion
– Diamond League 200m champion
– Ran a world-leading national record of 19.31 to move to third on the world all-time list
9. Anderson Peters (Grenada)
– World javelin champion
– Commonwealth javelin silver medallist
– Threw a world-leading NACAC record of 93.07m, moving to fifth on the world all-time list
10. Pedro Pichardo (Portugal)
– World triple jump champion with a world-leading leap of 17.95m
A three-way voting process will determine the finalists.
The World Athletics Council and the World Athletics Family will cast their votes by email, while fans can vote online via the World Athletics social media platforms. Individual graphics for each nominee will be posted on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube this week; a ‘like’ on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube or a retweet on Twitter will count as one vote.
The World Athletics Council’s vote will count for 50% of the result, while the World Athletics Family’s votes and the public votes will each count for 25% of the final result.
Voting for the World Athletes of the Year closes at midnight on Monday 31 October. At the conclusion of the voting process, five women and five men finalists will be announced by World Athletics.
The winners will be revealed on World Athletics’ social media platforms in early December.
Further information about the World Athletics Awards 2022 will be announced in the coming weeks.