The triumphant Kenya Deaflympics team arrived home on Thursday morning from the 24th Summer Deaflympics games held in Caxias Do Sul Brazil where they were ranked top in Africa .
The Kenyan team scooped a total of 24 medals; 5 gold, 7 silver and 12 bronze.
Kenya was represented in Athletics (men & women), Football (women) Handball (men & women), Basketball (men & women) and golf (men)
The team was accompanied by Kenya Deaflympics General Team Manager Josephine Aska who thanked the government for fully supporting national teams.
“Team Kenya has done extremely well. We had teams in five disciplines compared to last time in Turkey where we had three teams. We have excelled and achieved what we promised the President.”
The team will be hosted to a celebratory breakfast at Pride Inn Azzure hotel in Westland, Nairobi.
Team Kenya medalists
1.Men’s 3000m Steeplechase-Lucas Wandia Wanjiru.
2.Men’s 10000m-Symon Cherono Kibai.
3.Men’s 5000m-Symon Cherono Kibai.
4.Men’s 1500m- Ian Wambui Kahinga.
5.Men’s 800m- Elikana Kiprop Rono.
6. 4X400m Mixed Relay (George Waweru Muthee, Linet Fwamba Nanjala, Beryl Atieno Wamira and Isaac Atima Tongi).
7. Men’s 10000m- Peter Toroitich.
8. Women’s 10000m-Serah Wangari Kimani.
9. Women’s 1500m- Sharon Jeptarus Bitok.
10.Men’s 5000m- Ian Wambui Kahinga
11.Women’s 800- Sharon Jeptarus Bitok.
12. Women 4x400m Relay (Beryl Atieno Wamira, Linet Fwamba Nanjala, Pamela Atieno Atieno, Sharon Bitok Jeptarus)
13.Men’s 10000m- David Kipkogei.
14. Women’s 10000m- Grancy Kandagor.
15. Men’s Javelin- Kelvin Kipkogei.
16. Women’s 400m – Linet Fwamba Nanjala
17. Men’s Golf- Isaac Ogolla Makokha.
18. Men’s 3000m Steeplechase- Peter Omari Kokobi.
19. Women’s 3000m Steeplechase- Ann Njoki Wangeci
20.Women’s 200m- Beryl Atieno Wamira.
21.Women’s 4x100m Relay (Beryl Atieno Wamira,Rael Achieng Wamira, Anzazi Chaka Nyundo and Linet Fwamba Nanjala).
22.Women’s 800m -Rebecca Matiko.
23. Women’s 5000m -Grancy Kendagor.
24.Men’s 4x400m Relay (Simon Menza Gona, Charles Muthama Mwema, George Waweru Muthee, Isaac Atima Tong’i)