Former WorldU20 3000m steeplechase champion Leonard Kipkemoi Bett and World under 20 silver medalist Sandrafelis Chebet were the winners of South Rift Cross Country championships that were held today (Saturday 8) at the Njoro Boys High school in Nakuru County.
The 21 year-old was pushed to the wire by Geoffrey Kimutai who pushed him to the tape with the latter cutting the tape in 28:23, one second ahead of Kimutai. Andrew Mangati came home in third place in a time of 28:34.
Chebet who is fresh from winning the Sao Silvestre de Sao Paulo cross country ran away with the women title 32:03 ahead of Viola Chepngeno in 32:11 with Fancy Cherono taking in bronze medal in a time of 32:21.
Faith Cherono came home in fourth with the 2013 World silver medalist Champion, Mercy Cherono finishing in fifth in 32:54 and 33:07 respectively.
- Leonard Bett (BMT)- 28:23
- Geoffrey Koech (KRH)- 28:24
- Andrew Mangat (NKR)- 28:34
- Mathu Samberu (KJD)- 28:37
- Shem Tolu (KRH)- 28:37
- Sandrafelis Chebet (KRH)- 32:03
- Viola Chepngeno (KRH)- 32:11
- Fancy Cherono (KRH)- 32:21
- Faith Cherono (NKR)- 32:54
- Mercy Cherono (KRH)- 33:07