Ethiopia’s Senbere Teferi could not defend her title at the 54th edition of the AJC Peachtree Road Race 10-K held on Tuesday (04) in Atlanta, United States.
The 2015 World 5000m silver medallist, made a wrong turn when she followed one of the motorcycle escorts that enabled her compatriot Fotyen Haiylu Tesfay and Kenya’s Jesca Chelangat to pass her with few meter remaining.
The 19 year-old Tesfaye sprinted past Teferi with a drizzling speed to cut the tape first with a time of 30:43.
Tesfaye was followed by Chelengat in second place in a time of 30:45 with the world 5km record holder forced to settle in third place in 30:47.
Kenya’s Dorcas Tuitoek who finished seventh last year improved on her time and position as she came home in 30:13 with her compatriot Vicoty Chepngeno finishing in fifth in 31:23.
Tefaye pocketed a cool $10,000 as prize money.
- Fotyen Haiylu Tesfay (ETH) 30:43
- Jesca Chelangat (KEN) 30:45
- Senbere Teferi (USA) 30:47
- Dorcas Tuitoek (KEN) 31:13
- Vicoty Chepngeno (KEN) 31:23
- Stacy Ndiwa (KEN) 31:36
- Cynthia Limo (KEN) 31:42
- Tadu Teshome Nare (ETH) 31:51
- Selam Selam Fente Gebre (ETH) 31:52
- Sheila Chepkirui (KEN) 31:57