CJ Ujah has been told he can return to the Great Britain fold once he has served his drugs ban, which ends on June 5, 2023.
The 28-year-old was slapped a with a backdated 22-month ban after failing a drug test which resulted in Team GB being stripped of their silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics in the 4x100metre relay.
Ujah had tested positive for banned substances ostarine and S-23 back in August last year, denying the Team GB quartet – which also included Zharnel Hughes, Richard Kilty and Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake – silver. Despite the suspension, he was cleared of intentionally taking a prohibited substance by the Athletics Integrity Unit and the World Anti-Doping Agency.
The 28-year-old admitted that he had “unknowingly consumed a contaminated substance” and said that he would “regret for the rest of his life” the situation.
Ujah will be available for next year’s World Championships in Hungary and after his ban was confirmed, new UK Athletics technical director Stephen Maguire insisted he will be in the frame for the British team if he is quick enough.
“If he’s available to compete we will select him. I haven’t spoken to CJ in a couple of years. He made a mistake and that’s clear,” he said. “I need to see what the environment is like. CJ, first of all, has to run fast anyway.
“It’s looking at that environment and where it all fits. Hopefully things go easy for CJ in coming back and it would be great to have that choice in selecting CJ. The 100m and 4x100m is going to be tough for anyone.
“I’ll definitely be chatting to CJ. I’ve (also) had a couple of conversations with the BOA (British Olympic Association). It’s getting to know them now the CJ news has broken. He’s eligible next year. It’s a conversation I’ll need to have.”