Ethiopia’s Andualem Shiferaw broke his own course record at the Lisbon marathon that was held on Sunday (17) in Lisbon Portugal.
Shiferaw broke his own record that he set in 2019 of 2:06.00 as he battled Hosea Kiplimo from Kenya to the wire but managed to give a powerful kick to set a new course record of 2:05.52. Kiplimo was forced to settle in second as he crossed the line in 2:07.39. Ethiopia’s Adane Amsalu came home in third place in 2:07.54 to take the bronze.
Balew Yihunie Derseh and Dadi Yami Gemeda both from Ethiopia finished in fourth and fifth place in 2:10.09 and 2:10.53 respectively.
In the women’s race Ethiopian Ayalew Bere Asayech took the top honors cutting the tape in a time of 2:25.05. Asayech led an Ethiopian 1-2 podium place as she was followed by Almaz Negede Fekade who crossed the line in 2:27.12 with Linet Chebet Toroitich closing the first three podium finishes in 2:28.33..
- Andualem Shiferaw (ETH) 2:05.52
- Hosea Kiplimo (KEN) 2:07.39
- Adane Yihunligne (KEN) 2:07.54
- Balew Derseh (ETH) 2:10.09
- Dadi Yami Gemeda (ETH) 2:10.53
- Ayalew Bere Asayech (ETH) 2:25.05
- Almaz Negede Fekade (ETH) 2:27.12
- Linet Chebet Toroitich (UG) 2:28.33