Kenya’s Kennedy Kiprop Cheboror was the surprise winner of the 7th edition of the Chongqing International Marathon that was held on Sunday (25) in Chongqin, China.
Kiprop was not rated among the race favorites but he pulled a surprise kick to cut the tape in 2:13.41 and was follwed closesly by Ethiopian Abayneh Ayele Woldegiorgis who crossed the line in 2:14.12 with Regasa Mndaye Bejiga also from Ethiopian closing the podium three in 2:15.06.
Another Kenyan Paul Waweru Chege was placed fourth in 2:15.09 with Tebalu Zawude Heyi from Ethiopian finishing in fifth place in 2:16.31.
Afewerk Mesfin the course record holder of 2:09.49 who is also the defending champion finished a disapointing sixth place in 2:16.56.
- Kennedy Kiprop Cheboror (KEN) 2:13.41
- Abayneh Ayele Woldegiorgis (ETH) 2:14.12
- Regasa Mndaye Bejiga (ETH) 2:15.06
- Paul Waweru Chege (KEN) 2:15.09
- Tebalu Zawude Heyi (ETH) 2:16.31