Kenya’s Sheila Jerotich broke the course record at the 94th edition of the Kosice Peace Marathon that was held on Sunday (1) in Kosice, Slovakia.
Jerotich who came with a PB of 2:28.58 that she got at the Chongqing Marathon early this year led a 1-2-3 Kenyan finish when she cut the tape in 2:27.34 breaking the course record of 2:27.44 that was set by Ethiopian Ashete Bekele in 2013.
Milano Marathon winner Sheila Chepkoech who came to the race with a personal best of 2:29.52 but could not lower it,crossed the line in 2:29.13 with third place going to Emily Samoei of 2:31.17.
“I had a great day, I felt great from the beginning of the race, Compared to my first marathon in China, Kosice was much better and we ran in significantly better conditions ” Jerotich said to the press
The 2017 Rabat Marathon winner Worknesh Alemu Mola and Meseret Alemu both from Ethiopian were placed fourth and fifth with 2:31.27 and 2:32.31.
1. Sheila Jerotich (KEN) 2:27.34
2. Sheila Chepkoech (KEN) 2:29.13
3. Emily Samoei (KEN) 2:31.17
4. Worknesh Mola (ETH) 2:31.27
5. Meseret Alemu (ETH) 2:32.31
6. Tecla Kirongo (KEN) 2:32.46
7. Janet Rono (KEN) 2:34.06
8. Hellen Chepkorir (KEN) 2:34.16
9. Katarina Lamiova (SVK) 2:58.06
10.Sylivia Sebestian (SVK)3:02.05