Kenya’s Flomena Cheyech Daniel was the winner of the Saitama International marathon that was held in Saitama Japan on Sunday (13)
The 34-year old pulled away from the Ethiopian Amane Gobena after 25km to win the race setting a course record of 2:23:18.
The second place went to the Ethiopian who had stomach upset to cross the finishing line with 2:25.58 a diffrence of 2 minutes.
Third place was taken by fellow kenyan Monica Jepkoech who finished with a time of 2:28.56 while fourth place went to another Ethiopian Atsede Habtamu with a 2:29.44
After claiming the pole position she told the press,” Am so happy today to win a race here in Japan as you know its my second home where I have been living for the past four years”.
1. Flomena Cheyech (KEN) 2:23:18
2. Amane Gobena (ETH) 2:25:58
3. Monica Jepkoech (KEN) 2:28:56
4. Atsede Habtamu (ETH) 2:29:44
5. Mizuho Nasukawa (JPN) 2:33:16
6. Cassie Fien (AUS) 2:33:17 – PB
7. Maryna Damantsevich (BLS) 2:34:50
8. Winfrieda Kebaso (KEN) 2:35:53
9. Kaori Yoshida (JPN) 2:38:37
10. Deborah Toniolo (ITL) 2:41:39