Athletics is still all about the numbers. They speak louder than words. On Saturday 27 August 2016, no fewer than 27 medallists from the Rio Games will be competing at the Stade de France for the MEETING de PARIS, the French leg of the IAAF Diamond League. Among them, some of the most outstanding heroes of the Olympic event, including Americans Kerron Clement and Ryan Crouser, Jamaican Elaine Thompson, Kenyan Faith Kipyegon and Croatian Sandra Perkovic.
The organisers have just added three new names to this remarkable list, which are sure to make the Paris meet stand out even more vividly. Spaniard, Ruth Beitia, Olympic champion in the high jump at the age of 37, had previously announced that the Rio Games would be her last competition. She’s gone back on her decision and will now be competing at the MEETING de PARIS.
Dutch athlete Dafne Schippers, world 200m champion in 2015 in Beijing, but surpassed in Rio de Janeiro by Elaine Thompson, will be hooking back up with her Jamaican rival over this distance. It’s a duel which promises to be one of the highlights of the evening.
Finally, the public audience at the Stade de France will be able to belatedly celebrate the fantastic performance by Frenchman Kevin Mayer in the Olympic decathlon. A silver medallist with a new national record (8,834 points), he’ll be competing in the javelin competition, a sport in which he boasts a personal best of 66.09m, set at the Worlds in 2013 in Moscow.
- Tianna Bartoletta – Long jump W (USA)
- Ruth Beitia – High jump W (ESP)
- Ruth Jebet – 3000 m Steeplechase W (BRN)
- Faith Kipyegon – 1 500 m W (KEN)
- Sandra Perkovic – Discus W (CRO)
- Elaine Thompson – 200 m W (JAM)
- Kerron Clement – 400 m Hurdles M (USA)
- Ryan Crouser – Shot Put M (USA)
- Thomas Röhler – Javelin M (GER)
- Nia Ali – 100 m Hurdles W (USA)
- Mirela Demireva – High jump W (BUL)
- Hyvin Kiyeng – 3000 m Steeple W (KEN)
- Dafne Schippers – 200 m W (NED)
- Mélina Robert-Michon – Discus W (FRA)
- Taoufik Makhloufi – 800 m M (ALG)
- Renaud Lavillenie – Pole vault Men (FRA)
- Joe Kovacs – Shot put M (USA)
- Kevin Mayer- Javelin M (FRA)
Bronze Medallists :
- Emma Coburn – 3000 m Steeple W (USA)
- Jennyfer Simpson – 1500 m W (USA)
- Ivana Spanovic – Long jump W (SRB)
- Yasmani Copello – 400 m Hurdles M (TUR)
- Hagos Gebrhiwet – 3000 m M (ETH)
- Sam Kendricks – Pole vault M (USA)
- Christophe Lemaitre – 100 m M (FRA)
- Tom Walsh –Shot put M (USA)
- Keshorn Walcott – Javelin M (TTO)
Source: Diamond League