Kenya Athletics Coaches Association (KACA) today came out to air what they term as unfair treatment and recognition by the Athletics Kenya and National Olympics Committee (NOCK).
“The KACA chairman Francis Kamau laid it bear that in future if they are not involved in the selection of the team, they would not release the athletes to the federation”.
“Look how they handled the Rio bound team and the mishaps that happened from the word go, we would not allow it any more that they hand pick the coaches to handle athletes without involving us”, he said.
There are some coaches who play to the tune of Athletics Kenya and Nock and they have never missed all internationals competitions since 2008 to 2015, come next international competition we won’t allow it to happen again.
“If they don’t recognize us we will name the individuals without fear of favor the coaches echoed in unison”, said One of the coaches who sought anonymity.
“Our coaches have been treated as trash for a very long time, did you see how they handled our own, coach John Anzrah at the Rio games.”
“The genuine people were not accredited but cronies and joy riders got preference, we won’t allow our coaches to be treated like these, we will make sure that before an athlete and coach leaves the country they must have their accreditations with them before they board the train the chairman,” said with anonymity.”
Ministry of Sports
On the sports ministry they voiced their concern at how the minister can also be scammed without him having the knowhow of how the affairs of athletes were being handled.
“The cabinet secretary of sport is a shame and should quit immediately and allow someone who knows and understand the game of sport as a whole especially athletics”.
The CS was exonerating himself of the claims he turned a blind eye as ‘joy riders’ travelled to Rio while legitimate stakeholders struggled to make the cut or get the requisite accreditation to stay comfortably in the summer games.
“We feel more medals could have been won had the athletes and selected coaches been accorded professional treatment. The unfortunate events that surrounded Catherine Ndereba, Joseph Mosonik, Mark Baraton and Sprinter Carvin Nkanata, were a disgrace for a great sporting nation like Kenya.”
“We kindly ask for a meeting with the head of state, we want a sitting so that we can tell him our story”, Kamau said. We want our own meeting with the president as coaches, we don’t want to be escorted by Athletics Kenya or Nock officials, and it’s our time to tell the head of state the current state of events in athletics.
“As coaches we need to be paid better so that we can deliver good results because we nurture these young athletes to be who they are but we are not treated right”. We made David Rudisha, Faith Kipyegon, Elijah Manangoi, Jemima Sumgong and many others but just to name the few” the association ranted.
During the meeting 8 pillar Resolutions were passed by the 23 members who were present:
- We feel that we have been assumed for long and Athletics Kenya as the main office did not play their part in previous selections
- More medals could have been worn be it the athletes and the selected coaches were professionally treated.
- We strongly condemn the demeaning and embarrassing manner of treatment legendary Coach Anzrah was subjected to.
- NOCK should respect coaches and by extension Athletics Kenya since this is the sole Federation wining medal.
- Coaches will not in future release any of their athletes to championships manned under the current NOCK leadership. Henceforth calling for its disbanding.
- We are equally disappointed by the Ministry headed by CS Wario since the back lies with him.
Coaches are unanimously seeking to meet the president to air their plight and frustrations.
- Foreign coaches should go back to their countries .Remaining genuine few should be properly vetted. This will help us fight the doping menaces.
- Managers and foreign media should be properly vetted.